Request for testing: ata(4) MFC
koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 16 07:17:03 UTC 2008
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:58:55AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 10:12:11PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:03:20AM +0400, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> > > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > >> Also, does your patch include any fixes (intentional or inadvertent) for
> > >> Intel MatrixRAID? This has been a sore spot for FreeBSD for quite
> > >> some time, and I'm curious to know if that has been fixed.
> > >
> > > There is only one fix for Intel Matrix RAID:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/121899
> > Ahh, yeah, I've seen that one as well. I'll apply the patch and let you
> > know if the behaviour documented in the PR happens.
> I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to testing this -- my day (night) job
> has kept me incredibly busy, and I've had hardly any time at home to
> work on personal projects. It sucks.
> I'll try to make time for testing either today or tomorrow.
I finally got around to testing this patch tonight on my P4SCE box.
Said box does not use AHCI.
Based on skimming the code, the patch needs to be tested on the
- Systems with AHCI
- Systems using SATA port multipliers
- Systems using Silicon Image chips
- Systems using VIA chipsets with SATA devices attached
- Systems with Promise controllers that have ATAPI devices attached
- Systems using Adaptec 1420SA controllers
- Systems using ITE ATA/IDE controllers, specifically ITE 8213F
- Systems that use suspend/resume
Right now I have access to an AHCI-based system, but I do not feel
comfortable testing yanking of disks or pulling of SATA cables to
simulate a drive/controller failure -- because the disks attached
to said box contain sensitive/important data. That said, this
needs to be thoroughly tested:
- Disk and/or controller failures when AHCI is in use (specifically
due to major changes in ata_ahci_reset() and ata_ahci_softreset())
- Could someone provide an explanation of the 48-bit LBA addressing
changes (see lines 988-1003 in the patch)? I'd like to know what they
do, and if further QA/testing is needed with this.
- Can we please see about adding the FreeNAS project's ata timeout
sysctls? I see lots of delays/sleeps in numerous pieces of code that
pertain to soft or hard resets of AHCI controllers, and I often worry
about the implications of hard-coded timeouts.
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
| Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |
More information about the freebsd-stable