Request for testing - top 3.8b1 in the base system

(-K JohnNy johnny64 at swissjabber.org
Wed Oct 1 14:44:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:46:20PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> I have made an update for the top(1) utility in the FreeBSD base
> system to get it from the 3.5b12 version to the 3.8b1 version.
>
> I have tried them on the amd64 architecture on FreeBSD -current and
> FreeBSD 7.0 and on the i386 architecture on FreeBSD 7.0.
>
> The big new features are a line upper part with kernel statistics
> (context-switches, traps, interrupts, faults etc) and the FLG table
> (if you window is big enough)
>
> Some features specific to FreeBSD (dual display (press m)), threaded
> processes, and jails have been ported to 3.8b1.
>
> The biggest fix (AFAICT) is the TIME and CPU table for threaded
> processes, which are now calculated properly.
>
> The new code can be found on
>     http://www.mavetju.org/~edwin/freebsd-top-3.8b1-A.tar.gz
> Go to 3.8b1/usr.sbin/top and run "make" there to produce the binary,
> then run it via "./top".
>
> Please report any issues with it (compile time, run time) and a way
> to reproduce it (if possible). Thanks for your help!
>
> Edwin

I found another bug. The new top doesn't handle newlines in full
commandlines correctly -- if there is a command whose commandline
contains a newline, which is quite common while some compilation is in
progress, it is just printed out as it is, breaking the
one-process-per-line layout.

--
(-K JohnNy alias Partial Derivative ∂
[home] http://johnny64.fixinko.sk/