Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 19 12:32:43 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:43:25PM +0100, Marko Lerota wrote:
> If you use BSD system only for few apps like PHP/Apache/MySQL it would
> be easy. But if you have lots of stuff for desktop machine (gnome,xfce etc.)
> it's very painful, long, and waste of time. (I don't have x386 33MHz CPU)
>
> This thing should be solved. I liked the way that my OS have independance
> from ports. So no metter what I do with ports, my OS and his apps will work.
> And If I upgrade the OS I dont want to recompile ports for that.
> If this thing can be solved (I'm not programmer so I don't know) I can
> donate some amount of $ for development. I think that this would make
> lots of people happy.

Am I to understand that you want prebuilt binary packages for PHP which
encapsulate every possible combination of "make config" options?  That's
a bit unreasonable with how the ports framework is built.  That's
something like over a hundred prebuilt packages -- just for PHP.

That said: I do understand what you're saying, and yes, I can see why
you would want that.  It does make sense, and it's reasonable.  It's
just hard to achieve.  I don't think other mainstream OSes (e.g. Linux)
offer this ability either, though.  Am I wrong?