Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Marko Lerota mlerota at iskon.hr
Wed Mar 19 11:43:34 PDT 2008

Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Are you connected via a modem or something?  2-3 days to download some
> packages cannot be right if you have a decent internet connection.

No I have 5Mbps link. It's not the link issue. It's the compilation
time from ports because there are only small portion of precompiled
packages. And some of my apps need special switches like to tell
PHP to build module for apache. I cant do that just from portupgrade -faP.

If you use BSD system only for few apps like PHP/Apache/MySQL it would
be easy. But if you have lots of stuff for desktop machine (gnome,xfce etc.)
it's very painful, long, and waste of time. (I don't have x386 33MHz CPU)

This thing should be solved. I liked the way that my OS have independance
from ports. So no metter what I do with ports, my OS and his apps will work.
And If I upgrade the OS I dont want to recompile ports for that.
If this thing can be solved (I'm not programmer so I don't know) I can
donate some amount of $ for development. I think that this would make
lots of people happy.

--
One cannot sell the earth upon which the people walk
                               			Tacunka Witco