Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 3 12:22:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:

> Has anyone tried 7.0-Stable on a Thinkpad t61p.  I've been using one
> for a few weeks and have had many problems, after several event-free
> years on a t42.
>
> My issues are mainly ACPI related--consistent lockups trying to
> suspend; hangs during shutdown.  Have updated the BIOS and I'm going
> through the list of items in the acpi-debugging list, in the handbook.
>
> I'm also having issues with the DVD reader on the machine.  I'm mainly
> curious to know if anyone else is having these problems,

Here's what I'm aware of.  Apologies on some of these links; some of the
participants do not use decent mail clients that utilise thread
referencing headers.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-October/037652.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039452.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-March/041509.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-April/041794.html

My co-worker runs Kubuntu Linux on his T60p, and it works great.  Very
decent ACPI support, with full driver support (including H/W monitoring
and adjustments).  I was quite impressed.

> ... and if anyone has comments about the hardware in general.

Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
almost 70C **while idling**.