USB loses devices

Martin nakal at web.de
Sun Apr 6 20:40:18 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have some annoying problems with USB support on i386 and amd64. The
controller deactivates devices sometimes. This is often the keyboard or
mouse while I'm using Xorg. All LEDs and the power is off on the
affected device when the problem occurs.

Usually I don't get any messages about it in syslog, but this time I
was away at the phone for an hour and some messages appeared.

usb6: host controller process error

After detaching and reattaching my mouse, I also got something that
looked like:

uhub6: device problem (TIMEOUT) ...

That was on amd64. Usually reattaching helps to re-enable the devices,
but this time it was totally broken.

I don't know the exact message, because I restarted the PC to get my
mouse working again and I've seen it accidentally.

On i386 I'm losing a Cherry G83 keyboard and Logitech mouse (both USB)
attached to a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p. On amd64 platform I have a
Logitech G5 Laser mouse that uses a USB port. This is nothing exotic,
in my opinion, so I suppose that more people than me must know this
problem.

I'm using -STABLE on both platforms. I've had this problem already when
I installed the PRERELEASES of 7.0.

moused is off, because I had problems with X recently that are
well-known and already discussed here. I don't know how to describe it
further.

Anyone else with USB problems here?

--
Martin