FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Jul 20 16:44:32 UTC 2008

> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:22:09 +1000
> From: Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 09:36:38PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 09:28 PM 7/19/2008, Subhro wrote:
> >
> > >You need to understand the release engineering process of FreeeBSD.
> >
> > I've been watching it (and testing release candidates) since 2.x, so
> > I think I may possibly have some understanding of it by now. ;-)
> >
> > >The release edition is essential created from the stabe edition. 7.1R
> > >would not be something new which is *not* present on 7-STABLE today.
> >
> > Mostly true. But the new release would undergo extensive testing, and
> > changes which were "not ready for prime time" would be rolled back or
> > made solid. I've had enough trouble with some recent snapshots of
> > -STABLE that I'd rather install a release that's been thoroughly
> > tested... preferably with the latest ports. That's why I'm asking
> > about the likely actual release date of 7.1.
>
> The best thing a looking glass can come up with is:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releng/#schedule
>
> But that unless an announcement that as much worth as the lifetime
> of the electrons hitting the back of your eyes.

I think we might have a communications issue. If I am wrong, sorry for
the waste of bandwidth,

First, 7.1 will not be out before Black Hat where the details of the
vulnerability will be discussed publicly, so scratch that.

Second, RELENG_7_0 has the patch plus two other security patches. IT IS
NOT STABLE! It is 7.0 with exactly three important security patches and
nothing else.

While I find stable to be more stable and generally far better tested
than release versions, I understand th preference many have for release
versions.

You have three options:
1. Upgrade to STABLE
2. Apply the patch to your existing system
3. Upgrade to RELENG_7_0

Of these, 2 is generally the easiest. 3 is probably the closest you can
get to what you want, but pulls in two other security patches (which you
probably should have installed, anyway) and 1 is probably the best
approach in terms of system stability, but it does make a great many
changes and it is probably not the best choice for a production
environment where careful testing would be needed before deployment.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)