newbie question about NFS

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Jan 30 10:34:47 PST 2008

Read the exports(5) manpage. Its format is different on FreeBSD than it
is on Linux. (rw) isn't valid.

Pay particular attention to the section about "maproot". "In the
absence of -maproot and -mapall options, remote accesses by root will
result in using a credential of -2:-2." So if you mounted the directory
as root on the client side then you were given no permissions. Either
add a "-maproot=root" flag to your exports line (insecure) or change
the ownership on the server to be a different user and mount as that
user on the client.

JN