zfs problems

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Wed Jan 30 00:26:49 PST 2008

----- "Alexandre Biancalana" <biancalana at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/29/08, ZsUM ZsUM <kampo84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Dump header from device /dev/ad4s1b
> > Architecture: amd64
> > Architecture Version: 2
> > Dump Length: 253394944B (241 MB)
> > Blocksize: 512
> > Dumptime: Sun Jan 20 23:51:58 2008
> > Hostname:
> > Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
> > Version String: FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 #0: Mon Dec 24 10:10:07 UTC 2007
> > root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > Panic String: solaris assert: sm->sm_space == space (0x1686d4800 ==
> > 0x1686d3800), file:
> >
> /usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/../../contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/space_map.c,
> > line: 357
> > Dump Parity: 4000765979
> > Bounds: 0
> > Dump Status: good
> >
> > *
> >
> > The minidump is avaible if it nececery.
> >
> > If anybody know the solution, or can give me any advice how to fix
> it, than
> > please sent me by e-mail.
>
> Restore your data from backup, you lost the filesystem.

  Maybe, maybe not.  I know that one of the ZFS releases had a bug in the free space map.  This would also cause panics on OpenSolaris.  This problem is apparently recoverable.  The above panic references a Solaris panic in sm_space, which could be the space map.  See this:

http://www.joyeur.com/2008/01/22/bingodisk-and-strongspace-what-happened

I'm not clear about which version of ZFS code is in FreeBSD, and whether the free space map bug is present there or not.  Does anyone know which ZFS is in FreeBSD?

  Anyways, if you really need the data, it might be possible to boot the newest version of OpenSolaris, and let it repair your filesystem.

Tom