dmesg : no output on 1 of 2 7-stable boxes
Julian H. Stacey
jhs at berklix.org
Sat Jan 26 07:39:53 PST 2008
One of 2 laptops running 7-stable shows nothing with dmesg, (other is OK).
Needs fresh eyes please, as I've already checked all this:
- Text is in /var/log/messages, readable to normal users.
- df shows enough disc
- I patched out all of loader.conf, except essential hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
(that was to remove any *verbose* that might be overflowing
- I tried loader.conf kern.msgbuf=64000
- Tried a Generic kernel
- I've recompiled & installed dmesg & kernels
- Haven't done a make world (slow box), but repeated make all ; make install
with each day's new source.
- Both hosts running same /usr/src from yesterday:
Jan 25 15:25 TZ=GMT+01:00
- cd /etc;grep dmesg *
rc.conf:dmesg_enable="YES" # Save dmesg(8) to /var/run/dmesg.boot
Binary file rc.d matches # Just the standard /etc/rc.d/dmesg
rc.local:/sbin/dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.rc.local
# -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Jan 25 14:01 /tmp/dmesg.rc.local
- mergemaster -sicvP
Any ideas please ?
Julian Stacey. Munich Consultant: BSD Linux Unix. http://berklix.com
More information about the freebsd-stable