/usr/lib/compat and updates

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Jan 16 16:57:11 PST 2008

Just following-up to myself, please correct me if I got anything wrong...

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been doing a number of 4.11 -> 5.5 -> 6.2 upgrades.  All of them I've
> done have gone very well.  One that was handled by someone else following my
> step-by-step directions ended up missing some items from /usr/lib/compat and
> all the timestamps on the files in that directory are quite old (2002 and
> 2005).

>From what I can tell, the admin missed the "installworld" step when he
landed at 5.5 (probably got distracted and resumed later).

> As best I can tell "COMPAT4X" was set in /etc/make.conf on the machine in
> question.

It was...

> Can anyone help me understand where in the update process the compat libs are
> updated and which files correspond to which release?

>From what I can see, in 5.x there is a /usr/src/lib/compat/4x-arch
directory.  If "COMPAT4X" is set in make.conf, buildworld/installworld
will descend into that directory and build/install the compat libs.

After digging around the 6.x and newer source trees, it appears that the
ability to build the old libraries is gone.  If it's not gone, it has
moved to a location I can't find. :)  If you go directly from 4.x to 6.x,
the compat4x port in misc is how you get your libs.

Correct?

Thanks,

Charles