Why does firefox keep locking up on me?

Bob Vaughan techie at tantivy.net
Tue Jan 15 15:38:17 PST 2008

> Hey all,
>
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Christian Walther wrote:
>
> > Hello Bob,
> >
> > On 15/01/2008, Bob Vaughan <techie at tantivy.net> wrote:
> >> I've been having a problem on one particular machine with Firefox locking up
> >> on me, requiring a hard kill to get rid of it.
> >>
> >> The problem is thus: Firefox starts normally, but as soon as I go to a
> >> site that requires authentication, or any other form of user input,
> >> It will freeze as soon as I start entering my userid.
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Any ideas where to start looking?
> >
> > Since you've done nearly everything that could affect a binary working
> > properly, I think we can rule out a problem with the base system, X or
> > the browser itself.
> > I guess the problem might be related to your ~/.mozilla directory. I
> > noticed that a large variety of problems might be related to something
> > been broken inside it.
> > This might be an extension that might be incompatible and that isn't
> > installed on any of the other machines.
> > I'd recommend you to shut down firefox, open a terminal window and
> > rename the directory to something different. Please note that it
> > contains all settings you've made in *any* mozilla product (sunbird,
> > thunderbird).
> > Start firefox again and give it a try.
>
> Another neat trick that I oddly enough learned using OS-X is to just setup
> a new user on the box and reserve it for checking out odd problems that
> might be caused by any user-specific settings.  This has really helped me
> out a number of times.  Very different OSes, but both end up with a ton of
> user-specific stuff in $HOME...
>
> Charles
>
> > HTH
> > Christian

Thanks for the tip.. I didn't have any extentions, but moving .mozilla/
out of the way did seem to clear up the problem..  It's my lab machine,
so I don't have that much on it.

Thanks all..

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --