Backup solution suggestions

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Tue Jan 15 13:34:49 PST 2008

On 15/01/2008, at 8:52 PM, Johan Ström wrote:

> I'm looking to invest in some new hardware for backup. probably some
> kind of NAS (a 4-disk 1U NAS or something in that size). The thing
> is that I won't be the only one with access to this box, thus I
> would like to secure my data.
> What I would like is encryption both for the transfer to the box,
> and encrypted on disk. The data on disk should not be readable by
> anyone but me (ie the other user(s) of the box should not be able to
> read it, at least not without a big effort).

Take a look at bacula. It is a proper backup system, meaning that it
does incremental backups, etc. Storage pools can be encrypted. Not
sure if the network stream can be, but that could be solved with an
ssh tunnel. And it is open source, reliable and runs nicely on FreeBSD.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001