RELENG_7 2008/01/10 desktop system also periodically freezes

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 13 12:23:54 PST 2008

J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:40:34 -0500, I wrote:
>> Ah!  Just experienced a short freeze ...
>
> And another!  This one about 3 or 4 seconds.
>
> The profile from the last minute is here:
>     http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/releng_7-freeze/200801121342-unknown.txt
>
> This one shows a long hold_avg (I meant hold_avg in the previous
> message, too) for:
>     /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_vnops.c:515 (lockmgr:ufs)
>
> 	-jr

In both of these cases there is a non-mpsafe interrupt (probably your
mouse) blocked on a sysctl call (both of these require Giant).  That
would be fixed once sysctl no longer requires Giant (hopefully before
7.1, I have a WIP), or once someone makes the psm driver mpsafe.  I
don't think it accounts for a multi-second pause though.  Probably a
sched_graph trace will also be required to diagnose that better.

Kris