kmem_map too small under ZFS

Michael Haro mharo at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 7 04:34:34 PST 2008

I have the following in /boot/loader.conf and it seems to be doing
well for me on FreeBSD-i386 with 1G RAM.

vm.kmem_size="512M"
vm.kmem_size_max="512M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="150M"
kern.maxvnodes="400000"

Most of these settings came from various mailing list postings.  It's
possible that some don't do anything useful, but I haven't had a zfs
related panic since.