7B4: kernel messages garbled

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Tue Jan 1 23:31:17 PST 2008

Quoting "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>:

> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 10:09:02PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>>> After initial install. Sending a halt, in order to reboot the system
>>> results in garbled messages to the console. Specifically, the
>>> Syncing disks... message is unintelligible. As does is line
>>> preceding it.
>>
>> Does "garbled" mean it looks like there's two separate printf()s
>> occuring at the same time, with characters interleaved?  If so:
>
> Yes.
>

>> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/common_issues.txt
>
> Thanks. I'll have a look.

If I interpreted the thread(s) correctly, adding:
option PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE 128

to my kernel source file fixes this. Correct?
Also, were these threads in regard to 7? I don't
see this in any of our recent 6 kernel messages.
Lastly, just for the record, the only place I ever experience
the garbled (overlapping) messages is to the console. dmesg
seems to be clear.

Thanks.

Chris

>> Also, your Email address has a hash symbol in it, so I hope this mail
>> makes it through to you...
>
> Indeed. It does. It's an anti-spam device. While not perfect, it has
> helped. :)
>
> OH. It got through. ;)
>

>> --
>> | Jeremy Chadwick                                    jdc at parodius.com |
>> | Parodius Networking                           http://www.parodius.com/ |
>> | UNIX Systems Administrator                      Mountain View, CA, USA |
>> | Making life hard for others since 1977.                  PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

> --
> panic: kernel trap (ignored)

panic: kernel trap (ignored)