UFS snapshot weirdness

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Sun Feb 24 18:38:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 4:46 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:

> Eirik Øverby wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere else about NFS issues on 7-RC* where snapshots
>> have been used. In particular - and this is something I'm seeing
>> too - changing the exports file or reloading mountd gives the
>> following in messages log:
>> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /
>> tmp: Invalid argument
>> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /
>> usr: Cross-device link
>> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /
>> var: Cross-device link
>> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /
>> export/home: Cross-device link
>> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /
>> opt: Cross-device link
>> Can this be related? I'm starting to worry here - what will be the
>> long-term consequences if snapshots are stuck around in this
>> "invisible" state?

Ok there is definitely something VERY fishy going on here.
I have just removed a lot of data from one of the partitions where I
HAD snapshots (they are all gone now, since days). So freespace
initially goes up a lot, as expected, then drops to around what it was
before the deletion took place. There IS a snapshot being maintained
somewhere, even though I have deleted it (using rm -f). What can I do,
short of rebooting or remounting the filesystem??

This behavior is also seen on 6.2-RELEASE by the way; entirely
different hardware (32bit vs 64bit, scsi vs ide, etc.)

/Eirik