UFS snapshot weirdness

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Sat Feb 23 16:49:57 UTC 2008

Eirik Øverby wrote:

> I read somewhere else about NFS issues on 7-RC* where snapshots have
> been used. In particular - and this is something I'm seeing too -
> changing the exports file or reloading mountd gives the following in
> messages log:
>
> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /tmp:
> Invalid argument
> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /usr:
> Cross-device link
> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /var:
> Cross-device link
> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for
> /export/home: Cross-device link
> Feb 19 18:58:09 anduin mountd[38867]: can't delete exports for /opt:
> Cross-device link
>
> Can this be related? I'm starting to worry here - what will be the
> long-term consequences if snapshots are stuck around in this "invisible"
> state?

I have been experiencing these too. But it looks more like a bug in
mountd, since it shows up only is snapshots are created with mount. If
snapshots are created with mksnap_ffs this does not seem to show up.

I still have to make more in depth experiments, but before experimenting
by myself I'd like to have some more informed directions on what to
experiment.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>