rdump stuck in sbwait state (RELENG_7)

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Tue Dec 30 13:28:18 UTC 2008

I'm pretty sure it's caused by FreeBSD.  It can very well be related to
PR 117603, a real nasty dump(8) bug that was introduced in 7.0 on SMP
systems.  But it should have been patched back in March by this:

jeff 2008-03-13 00:46:12 UTC

FreeBSD src repository

Modified files:
sys/kern subr_sleepqueue.c
Log:
PR 117603
- Close a sleepqueue signal race by interlocking with the per-process
spinlock. This was mistakenly omitted from the thread_lock patch and
has been a race since.

MFC After: 1 week
PR: bin/117603
Reported by: Danny Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il>

Revision Changes Path
1.48 +5 -2 src/sys/kern/subr_sleepqueue.c

So I'm real surprised it shows up again. We got a pretty large backup
environment with dump(8) being a critical element of it.  I just hope
the problem will be resolved before 7.1-RELEASE hit the streets.

Terry, please file a bug report on this and get in touch with iedowse@
who was implementing the aforementioned patch.

Andy Kosela