RELENG_7_1: bce driver change generating too much interrupts ?

Nawfal bin Mohmad Rouyan nawfal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:00:43 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 11:47 -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Sun, December 14, 2008 4:57 am, Xin LI wrote:
> >
> > Mike Jakubik wrote:

> >> The interrupt rate has decreased significantly, however i am still
> >> having
> >> having problem with applications that hold stateful connections. The rx
> >> errors are also still showing, i suspect this is related to the problem.
> >> How can i roll back this driver to the last known good version?
> >
> > Hi, Mike,
> >
> > I think they are different problems.  Could you, please, give me
> > feedback about whether:
> >
> >  - The old driver does not trigger the problem?
> >
> >  - The patched driver restore all the old driver behavior?
>
> - Old driver.
>
> I have been running the system for 4 days now with this driver. My
> application has not stopped accepting connections, irq rate is low, and
> there are no rx/tx errors reported. Everything looks good.
>
> - Patched driver.
>
> Your initial import plus the IRQ fix still shows rx errors, and my
> application had stopped accepting connections. I have not tried the patch
> in your last email, and im not sure when i will be able to to as these
> systems are in production. Perhaps someone else could test it? As soon as
> i get a chance i will let you know how it goes.
>
> Thanks for the work on this.

I have been using a Dell machine with 2 bce interfaces as a bridge
between my LAN and Firewall to shape the traffic. Since after the
update, the machine can only run for a few minutes and after that no
more connection can go through.

Ping from LAN to Internet is OK but when I telnet say to www.yahoo.com
at port 80 and issue "GET / HTTP/1.0" I can see the data of different
application including the HTML text.

For example, I can see uTorrent packets with binaries and also the HTML
page being cut short. It's as if, I'm seeing packets jumbled together
from different application.

I'm using PF to shape the traffic. If I reboot the server, it will panic
and I have about 3 different vmcores in /var/crash and not sure what to
do with it :( . I've tested the patch to remove
stat_IfInFramesL2FilterDiscards but the problem still occurs.

As for now, I'm not using the server to shape the traffic because I
suspect the driver isn't reliable. I'm going to revert back to the
previous driver and hopes its going to work.

Sorry if there is not much detail since I'm not sure what to provide.
Just tell me what to provide and I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks!