Burning DVD with files>4GB from console

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Fri Dec 5 01:00:31 PST 2008

David Kelly pisze:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:44:14PM -0500, Steve Polyack wrote:
>
>> Not too say you're .iso images can't be >2GB/4GB, but I'm pretty sure
>> the ISO9660 standard is limited to a 2GB maximum file size (for files
>> within the .iso).  You must use UDF to burn files of greater size.
>> mkisofs(8) seems to support this, if only in alpha/hybrid stage:
>>
>>  -udf   Include UDF support in the generated filesystem image. UDF sup-
>>         port is currently in alpha status and for this reason, it is not
>>         possible to create UDF only images.
>>

> It would seem then that the O.P. who is already splitting his backup
> into 4.3GB chunks should split backups into sub-2GB chunks.
> 4,700,000,000 is the standard DVD size, I'd shoot for chunks of 4.5E9/3
> so as to have about 200MB of headroom per DVD.
>
> growisofs will write 3 files to the DVD just as easily as one. The magic
> of growisofs is that it invokes mkisofs on the fly. And also that
> cdrecord had obnoxious (and broken) licensing in years past when I last
> tried it.

Yes, I know that. My reasons for keeping one file on DVD are just for
making my life easier.
If I want to restore some files from filesystem backup (they are made
via pipeline dump | gunzip | split) I have to copy all files from DVDs
wchich includes needed filesystem and then I type:

    cat file1 file2 file3 ... fileN | gunzip | restore -if -

And yes, I know that tapes are much better for tasks like this but for
now I just have to use DVDs :)
Now imagine backup placed on 10 DVDs. With single file on DVD I have 10
files to manage, not 30. I know there're workarounds but with more files
I probably will need some script to restore files rather than do it
manually. That's the reason I asked if there's a possibility to burn it
this way from FreeBSD.

--
Bartosz Stec