Recent breakage due to the DTrace merge

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 29 15:24:40 UTC 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 06:36:30 pm John Birrell wrote:
> It goes without saying that this didn't go anywhere near as smoothly as
> I hoped it would. My attention to detail was less than perfect. Sorry
> for the pain I've caused.
>
> A big thanks to those who've put work into fixing the mistakes, particularly
> jhb, kib and csjp.
>
> What I'd like right now is for anybody with unresolved problems to write
> a summry and email it to me so I can see what needs to be addressed.
>
> I know that there are issues with upgrading from 6.X (where .X isn't the
> most recent on RELENG6). I'll need help from someone with an old 6.2
> box (say) to test out the builds. I have no hardware to run an old version
> of 6 on.

The issue with upgrades is that the dtrace_tools can't be built on 6.x systems
during the bootstrap stage because 6.x doesn't have libelf.  It may be that
you need to bootstrap libelf differently than you are currently doing now.  I
can reproduce this easily on 6.3-RELEASE box.  I would ask ru@ how best to
handle this case.

--
John Baldwin