WARNING: 7-STABLE BROKEN -- please wait to upgrade

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 28 07:19:17 UTC 2008

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Alex Goncharov wrote:
>> ,--- You/Kostik (Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:04:32 +0300) ----*
>> | cd into /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1,
>> | and do
>> |     make install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
>>
>> That simple thing didn't work for me:
>>
>>     make install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
>>     install  -o root -g wheel -m 555   cc1 /usr/libexec
>>     install: cc1: No such file or directory
>>     *** Error code 71
>>
>> I updated and installed world this morning -- and indeed had this
>>
>>     gcc: Internal error: Abort trap: 6 (program cc1)
>>
>> while compiling something, as a result.
>>
>> But I've found what may be an extremely easy way out of this hole: I
>> copied over /usr/libexec/cc1 from another machine, which had a code
>> built on Aug 17.  Then my `cc1' worked fine and I tripped on a SEGV in
>> `as'.  Then I copied over `as', then `ld', then `gcc'.  And that was
>> it -- the build began to work.
>>
>> So if anybody wants it, I can just send a package with these four
>> executables, to be deployed in place of the broken ones.
>>
>> Let me know...
>>
>> -- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --
>>
>> /*
>>  * The end of the world will occur at 3:00 p.m., this Friday, with
>>  * symposium to follow.
>>  */

This seems to work also (for me) on two boxes:

cd /usr/src/usr.bin/cc

make clean cleandepend depend obj all install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g

I guess the compilation directive is something odd, I remember myself
that it is recommended when compiling parts of the source tree. 'all
install' is a little bit paranoid, I guess, but ...