changing a ports final destination via make knobs question...

chris# at 1command.com chris# at 1command.com
Wed Aug 27 02:47:07 UTC 2008

Quoting "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net>:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 06:04:36PM -0500 I heard the voice of
> Paul Schmehl, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> If you plan on doing this often, pkgtools.conf is your best bet.  If you
>> plan on doing it once, commandline is probably the easiest and quickest.
>
> I would say using ports-mgmt/portconf would be a better bet,

and maintained by the same maintainer as the PHP version I'm
currently struggling with... I'll take it. :)
It seems a lot less "kludgy" than the ways /I've/ been considering.
All of which were not /nearly/ as eloquent as those that have been
suggested here by Paul, Chris, and all. ;)

> since it
> does its thing whether you use make install or portupgrade or
> portmaster or portsuperwhatsit.  A line like
>
> php5*: PREFIX=/usr/local/php5
>
> should take care of all php5 base/extension ports, wherever in the
> tree they end up.  Of course, you're still odd in the tricky woods
> building PECL stuff or the like, which could go against 4 or 5.  But
> that's a different mess.

Indeed. :)

Thanks for taking the time to lend a hand. :)

--Chris