changing a ports final destination via make knobs question...

chris# at 1command.com chris# at 1command.com
Tue Aug 26 21:09:37 UTC 2008

Quoting Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com>:

> Hi--
>
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:42 PM, chris#@1command.com wrote:
>> Given that the folks at PHP have decided that no one is allowed
>> to use PHP4 any longer. I've decided to *attempt* to install a copy
>> of PHP5 (cgi only) along side my already installed/configured, and
>> in use copy of PHP4 (apache_module, CLI, & CGI).
> [ ... ]
>>
>> *Any* help/advice would be *GREATLY* appreciated.
>
> You might consider doing your builds and testing on another machine
> entirely, to avoid disrupting a system which is in use.

Quite right! But a couple of reasons I elected to do it anyway;
* I have a *good* backup schedule
* This server is scheduled for upgrade (source && ports)
So if anything went too terribly wrong, nothing is lost.
Also, it only clobbered some of the includes, and ini files.
Given that I had no reason to add any more extensions/libs to
the PHP4 version, no harm done. PHP4 runs as it did prior to
the PHP5 experiment. :)

> Another option to consider is using a chroot'ed environment or jail
> using $DESTDIR (cf /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.destdir.mk).  Finally, if
> neither  of the previous seems to suit, then you can change where
> ports are  installed by adjusting $LOCALBASE.

I'll have a close look at $LOCALBASE. That sounds like a good
candidate. With any luck, it'll also cover extensions, ini(s), and
related libs. :)

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

--Chris