HEADS UP: inpcb/inpcbinfo rwlocking: coming to a 7-STABLE branch near you

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 12 10:20:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 05:21 PM 8/8/2008, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/20080808-7stable-rwlock-inpcb.diff
>>
>> These incude the inpcb/inpcbinfo read/write locking changes (although not
>> yet for raw/divert sockets).  Any testing, especially with heavy UDP loads,
>> would be much appreciated -- this are fairly complex changes, and also
>> quite a complex MFC.
>
>        So far so good with the patches. I am running them on a busy sendmail
> server that also does a lot of DNS locally for itself and a number of other
> boxes.

Excellent news.  I have a couple of other reviews and hopefully some more
testing coming in, and will commit in a few days if all continues to go well.
An updated version of the patch is here:

   http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/20080811-7stable-rwlock-inpcb.diff

There are no changes from previous versions, but I was asked to regenerate the
patch with function names, so have done so.

Anyone out there running name servers, NFS over UDP, and other UDP workloads:
your testing of this patch prior to commit would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge