Problem with /boot/loader [A new patch]

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 9 21:17:47 UTC 2008

On Saturday 09 August 2008 05:22:01 am Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:49:28PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > My realization this morning is that software interrupts ('int X') in real
> > mode disable interrupts just like hardware interrupts do.  Thus, my patch
> > changes BTX to disable interrupts for both cases 1) and 2) now.  I think
> > this will fix the hangs.  I'm still including the code to explicitly
> > initialize the eflags for user requests to a known-good value.  It still
> > has interrupts enabled which means that case 3) should know always run
> > with interrupts enabled (which is the desired state), but the client can
> > disable interrupts in the eflags in the vm86 structure if desired.
> >
> > The updated patch (same URL, new patch) is at
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/btx_hang.patch
>
> Sigh, it does not fix my problem described here:
>
> http://groups.google.ru/group/muc.lists.freebsd.stable/browse_thread/thread
>/538039f40b469e2a
>
> I've just updated my 7.0-STABLE to latest sources, applied your patch
> using "cd /usr/src; patch -p6 < ~/btx_hang.patch", it has applied cleanly.
> Then I've rebuilt and reinstalled kernel and world and rebooted.
> My problem persists as it was.

In addition to my earlier message, it would probably be good to narrow down
what breaks the loader for you.  For example, does it work ok over serial and
only break on vidconsole?  Also, if you just backout sys/boot/i386/btx to
7.0-release and leave the rest of the sys/boot tree at 7.0-stable, do you get
a working loader?

--
John Baldwin