Problem with /boot/loader [A new patch]

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 11:56:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09.08.2008 at 17:22:01 +0800, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:49:28PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > My realization this morning is that software interrupts ('int X') in real mode
> > disable interrupts just like hardware interrupts do.  Thus, my patch changes
> > BTX to disable interrupts for both cases 1) and 2) now.  I think this will
> > fix the hangs.  I'm still including the code to explicitly initialize the
> > eflags for user requests to a known-good value.  It still has interrupts
> > enabled which means that case 3) should know always run with interrupts
> > enabled (which is the desired state), but the client can disable interrupts
> > in the eflags in the vm86 structure if desired.
> >
> > The updated patch (same URL, new patch) is at
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/btx_hang.patch
>
> Sigh, it does not fix my problem described here:
>
> http://groups.google.ru/group/muc.lists.freebsd.stable/browse_thread/thread/538039f40b469e2a
>
> I've just updated my 7.0-STABLE to latest sources, applied your patch
> using "cd /usr/src; patch -p6 < ~/btx_hang.patch", it has applied cleanly.
> Then I've rebuilt and reinstalled kernel and world and rebooted.
> My problem persists as it was.

I'm not sure about which piece of code you are talking here (boot0,
boot1, boot2, loader?) But if it's one of the former, you dont need to
installworld, but install new boot blocks using either fdisk -B or
bsdlabel -B (or both).

hth,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.