em(4) on FreeBSD is sometimes annoying

Martin nakal at web.de
Mon Aug 4 15:45:40 UTC 2008

Am Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:51:38 +0200
schrieb Martin <nakal at web.de>:

> I'm trying some other things here. Before you waste time on
> PEBKAC problems ;) (which I now suspect to be). Let me try to install
> the latest GENERIC on my laptop first.

I've build fresh world and then kernel (GENERIC configuration), I also
removed everything from rc.conf except host name assignment, and
ifconfig_re0="DHCP". I have still same effect as described before.

Booting without ethernet cable will prevent me to get link "status:
active" on em(4), when I try to use it later.

GENERIC from FreeBSD 7.0 CD installation works fine. I checked it
again. I can boot without cable in my NIC, "try" to assign an IP using
DHCP and then plug the cable in and I have link.

Is there a difference how /etc/rc.d/netif handles a NIC with DHCP and
how the installation CD is handling it?

Once again, steps to reproduce this behavior:

1) Power the laptop OFF. Really OFF, I mean. No reboots!
2) Detach the cable from NIC.
3) Boot FreeBSD. Let it pass the DHCP phase (ifconfig_em0="DHCP") until
login appears.
4) Attach the cable to the NIC.
5) Voila... no link.

--