HP DL145G2 boot problems with 7.0

Ryan Lackey ryan.lackey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:48:09 UTC 2008

I have 4 HP DL145G2 boxes (dual opteron).  I recently upgrded them from
6.2-STABLE to 7.0-RELEASE using cvsup on each, compiling world + kernel.

The upgrade was (fairly painless on two machines, and has broken the other
two machines.

On boot, the broken machines hang somewhere after kbdc and psm, and before
serial driver initialization.

Specifically, I see:
psm0:  unable to allocate IRQ
psmcpnp0: PS/2 mouse port irq 12 on acpi0
pm0: ps2 mouse irq 12 on atkbdc0
ioapic0: routing intpin 12 (ISA IRQ 12) to vector 57
psm0: giant-locked
psm0: thread
psm0: model intellimouse explorer....
psm0: config; 0000000000 flags: 000000008, packet size:4
psm0: syncmask:08, syncbits:00

After that, it hangs.

I'm using a 7.0 world, mergemastered, and a kernel compiled on the broken
system, and also a
kernel compiled on one of the working systems and copied over, with the same
config.

(attached)

dmesg from one of the working systems also attached -- same config modulo
RAM and CPU speed.

If I boot using the 6.2 kernel and 7.0 userland, I can ssh in and some
things work, but others don't.

I'm using an IPKVM vs. serial console, so this is slightly more difficult to
debug, plus I have to ask someone
to reboot the machine, vs. using a power cycler.

Any help in debugging this would be most appreciated.