Telus EV-DO success how-to.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Thu Apr 17 18:49:11 UTC 2008

Seening as I didn't find any references to making the Dell 5720 EV-DO
card from Telus (in Canada) anywhere, I'm sending this mail to the
list with the intention that google will shortly return this answer
for other people.

It would seem that EV-DO cards are available in external PC-Card,
external express-card, internal express-card formats and USB dongle.
The internal (and I assume external) express-cards show up as USB
devices.  There may be extra instructions for the PC-Card, although I
strongly suspect it may show up as a serial device.

Dell distributes it's own version of the Novatel CDMA cards --- my
specimen had the USB Dell manufacturer number and a USB Dell product
number different from the origional Novatel.  The USB devices work
with the ubser(4) driver --- although at this very moment they require
the patch from PR usb/122803 (which should apply to any Dell version
of this card).

Assuming you have the card showing up as cuaU0 now, you need the
following in your ppp.conf (This is Telus specific):

telus:
 set phone "#777"
 set authname <phone number>@1x.telusmobility.com
 set authkey <serial number>
 set device /dev/cuaU0
 add default HISADDR

The phone number and the serial number can be found in the windows
client and/or the telus agents can see them if you're talking to a
tech support agent.

Dave.