File descriptor passing broken in FreeBSD 7?

Philip Murray pmurray at nevada.net.nz
Wed Apr 16 12:28:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

I recently tried to use the newly released mod_rails
(www.modrails.com) for Apache, and discovered it doesn't work on
FreeBSD 7.  It does however work on FreeBSD 6 just fine.

I tracked it down to sendmsg() as detailed here:

	http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/detail?id=16

The mod_rails/passenger unit tests fail on FD passing, as do the Ruby
1.8.6 standard unit tests. They all fail with EBADF

I've also tried this test case (with minor appropriate changes to file
paths etc.)

	http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/code/test-descriptor-passing.c

Again it works in FreeBSD 6, but not in FreeBSD 7 (albeit with
ECONNREFUSED not EBADF).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Phil