sched_ule performance on single CPU

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:09:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 00:20 -0700, Unga wrote:

> Sorry for my late reply.
>
> What I mentioned is a fact, that I always do. Yep, the
> music listening is not affected at all when building
> world on both 4BSD and ULE.
>
> Please note my processor is 3Ghz, may be it can take
> such a load.
>
> Second, I run the buildworld lessor priority than the
> music player and the browser.
>
> Third, have sufficient RAM so that it doesn't swap.
>
> Unga

Just my 2p worth.

I run musicpd, streaming via icecast with 4-5 clients, on a not crazy
fast 1.8 GHz Core Duo (*not* Core 2 Duo :), which is also a desktop
system and running a number of development web servers in C++, python,
ruby. I've only got a GB of RAM, so I am perennially swapping. With
SCHED_4BSD, running a make world would result in the music stopping
lots. With SCHED_ULE it never skips or pauses, and, with acceptable
waits for processes to get swapped back in, the desktop remains very
usable. I don't build world with a reduced priority either. ULE is a
very, very good scheduler IMHO :)

Now, if only I could stop Firefox leaking insane amounts of memory, I
wouldn't even need a RAM upgrade :)

Tom