NFS and /etc/exports

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 07:39:30 UTC 2008

>  > Do you have any errors when you reboot related to nfs?
>  >

>  LOL! I forgot to check the console at boot. Been administering all the
>  machines remotely and you forget to do the most basic thing. *sigh*
>
>  Anyways, yes there was an error when starting mountd. It takes a few
>  seconds to start but then it failed giving mount[618] error saying it
>  can't resolve the first host in /etc/exports file.
>
>  I add the first host in /etc/hosts file and reboot but then mountd can't
>  resolve the second host in the list. So right now I use the machines IP
>  addresses in /etc/exports file and it works flawlessly.
>
>  Perhaps I need to set mountd to start later in the boot process so that
>  it can resolve the hostnames in /etc/exports file?

I had similar problems a while ago with nfs not mounting but that was
related to the spanning-tree-algorithm on our switches which made the
first nfs-mount incomplete. So I added this entry to root's crontab:

@reboot /sbin/mount -a

>  Thanks though. Really appreciate your tip!

:-)

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare