reboot after panic: page fault

Spil Oss spil.oss at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 13 08:43:24 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Posted a message earlier about a panic due to a privileged instruction
fault. As a result of that I am now running a kernel with debug
symbols.

Last night my server crashed again, and now I'm wondering if the
community is interested, the crash is probably due to a faulty memory
module.
01:20 irssi segfaulted
Apr 13 01:30:41 gigabeast savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
Apr 13 01:30:41 gigabeast savecore: writing core to vmcore.1
Apr 13 01:30:49 gigabeast kernel: pid 537 (testparm), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)
Apr 13 01:30:50 gigabeast kernel: pid 544 (smbd), uid 0: exited on
signal 6 (core dumped)

This morning the machine was in an unusable state (ssh unreachable,
display wouldn't switch on), machine wouldn't start at all (no POST)
until I removed the memory module that I added after the previous
crash.

Kind regards,

Spil.