Digitally Signed Binaries w/ Kernel support, etc.

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Apr 10 14:13:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:58:40AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>  > >> Signing binaries could be naturally tied in with securelevel, where some
>  > >> securelevel (1?) would mean kernel no longer accepts new keys.
>  > >
>  > > If you set the system immutable flag on the binaries, you cannot modify them at
>  > > all at securelevel >0. Signing the binaries would be pointless in that case.
>  >
>  > I think these are separate things. Modifying binaries is separate from
>  > introducing new binaries. SCHG would prevent the former, but not the latter.
>
>  If you set the SCHG flag on the directories in $PATH, you can't put
>  anything new there as well.

There's nothing magical about $PATH.  A person could put a malicious
binary in /tmp or $HOME and run it with /tmp/crashme or whatever.
Sure, you could set SCHG on every single writeable directory on the
system to prevent any files being created.  MNT_NOEXEC might be an
option.  The existence of script languages or even scriptable binaries
does diminish the strength of a lockdown, but it depends on what
you're trying to achieve.  eg: If you're trying to prevent your users
from downloading a self-built irc client or bot and running it, then
yes, requiring signed binaries would be useful.

In any case, there are legitimate uses for signed binaries.  But I'm
not volunteering to do it.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell
**WANTED TO BUY: Garmin Streetpilot 2650 or 2660. Not later model! **