Bootloader not working on Compaq Proliant ML330 G2

Jan Sebosik sebosik at demax.sk
Sat Apr 5 13:00:39 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 12:09:55AM +0200, Ján ?ebo?ík wrote:
>> I`ve tried to install FreeBSD 7 on Compaq Proliant ML330 G2 server, but it
>> won`t boot. FreeBSD boot0 beeps after pressing F1, or F2 (got 2 partitions)
>> key. So i`ve installed grub on another machine, but than it says "Error 5"
>> only in Proliant, I don`t even get grub command prompt.
>
> Please see the below thread.  Do not let the subject stop you from
> reading it.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-March/041501.html
>
> I still can't find a present-day RELENG_7 SNAPSHOT that I can tell
> people to download.  There isn't one in the snapshots/200803/ directory
> past March 14th, and the snapshots/2008/04/ directory only contains
> snapshots for ia64 and powerpc.
>
> I'm left to believe David Overton built his own ISO.  It sounds as if
> you may have to do the same.
>
> And I can't explain what GRUB is doing.
>
>> HDD`s (2 x 250G) are connected to Parallel ATA on ServerWorks CSB5
>> controller (it`s not onboard controller). When I connected drives to onboad
>> controller they got some problem with DMA TIMEOUT.
>
> Not enough information to help debug this, but DMA timeouts are a known
> problem right now, regardless of controller:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
>
> Scott Long may be able to help track this problem down for you, but more
> details are needed.
>
>> PS: Is there any way how to debug Bootloader?
>
> Debugging the bootstraps is an incredibly tedious process at this point.
> No, it's not easy.

Hi

I`ve flashed to the latest "rompaq" (aka bios on Compaq :D), and now
freebsd sees LSI raid controller (really don`t know why it didn`t saw it
before upgrade).  Also I set disk sizes to 130GB (went down from 250G).
After installation BTX loads /boot/loader just fine. But thanks for your
ideas.

Best regards

---
Jan Sebosik, Slovakia