S-ATA DVD drive problems

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Wed Apr 2 09:12:49 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have severe problems with my optical drive(s) support.
The drive is on an ICH9 in AHCI mode.
I tested different writers, all show the same problem.
When the system boots with a CD in the drive or if I mount the acd0
device I see acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x05
or:
acd0: FAILURE - READ_DVD_STRUCTURE ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x30 ascq=0x02
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BUFFER ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

When I mount the drive with /dev/cdX (atapicam) I don't see any error!

burncd fails completely, cdrecord seems to work.

I don't understand why the scsi path to the drive is working while the
(native) atapi path is broken...

I have some oddities when accessing the drive with brasero via HAL, but
I'm not familar with HAL at all so this is probably another matter.

Any hints highly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Harry