Q&A on textdumps (fwd)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Apr 2 02:15:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:57:06 +0100 (BST)
Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> (7) I'm in DDB and I suddenly realize I want to save the output, and I haven't
> configured textdumps. What do I do?
>
> As with normal dumps, you must previously have configured support for a dump
> partition. These days, that is done automatically whenever you have swap
> configured on the box, so unless you're in single-user mode or don't have swap
> configured, you should be able to do the following:

First of all, thanks Robert - I am definitely not capable to debug kernel
crash, but the fact there are tools out there to make things easier is
definitely welcome ! :)

What happens if one encrypts the swap with GELI? Is this the same case as
"no swap defined" ? I've found back in 6.x that dumps wouldn't work properly
(I cant remember whether it would dump the data into the current encrypted
disk, or geli would kick in before savedump on reboot....) Since then I have a
separate partition for the dumps defined in rc.conf and dumps work ok .

thanks!
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss
it. But that it is too low... and we reach it."
   Michelangelo (1475-1564)

Warned.