can I do 6.1-RELEASE to 6.2 via cvsup

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Oct 24 08:36:46 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:18:30AM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> 	Um, I went to go check the file on a 7.0-BETA1 I just installed and and doing the ground
> up on.. And I just realized something...........
>
> 	WHERE is the step to install the kernel?? I always thought it was :
>
>         make buildworld
>         make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> 	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> 							[1]
> 	<reboot in single>				[3]

Pay attention to the make options (you can find them in /usr/src/Makefile).

'make kernel' is equivalent to 'make buildkernel + installkernel', just like
'make world' is equivalent to 'make buildworld + installworld'. The latter
can be dangerous, but the former usually isn't.

One process is:

	[csup, etc.]
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel
	make installkernel	[reboot single user]
				[mergemaster -p if necessary]
	make installworld
	mergemaster		[reboot]
	[ports or other stuff]

If you wish, the 'make buildkernel' + 'make installkernel' can be replaced
with 'make kernel', which does them both in sequence with one command.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL