questionable feature- rcvar woes

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Wed Nov 28 11:16:56 PST 2007

Something is wrong with rcvar or I am just blatant.

For example:

1) Enable powerd in rc.conf
# echo 'enable_powerd="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
2) Launch powerd
# /etc/rc.d/powerd start
Starting powerd.
3) And stopping it.
# /etc/rc.d/powerd stop
Stopping powerd.

Everything looks fine, but when I disable powerd in rc.conf then problem
arise.

1) Disable powerd in rc.conf- comment it out.
# enable_powerd="YES"
2) Stop powerd
# /etc/rc.d/powerd stop
...silence- nothing in logs either.

What? Not even a warning message and powerd is actually running- why I have to
reboot to disable it? I know that I can stop it by enabling it in rc.conf but
what the point? Same problem when I want to start some service without
appropriate line in rc.conf. I'd prefer to see somekind of warning about
misconfigured rc.conf or at least information about what's going on in
reality.

Andrei