Ok, so now what? Binary upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE fails

Clint Olsen clint.olsen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 13:41:55 PST 2007

On Nov 11, Chris H. wrote:
> It's as simple as making your swap slice available for dumping, and
> adding a line in your rc.conf file. Of course you'll need to "lift" the
> information of interest from the vmcore, for the dump to be of any value.
> :)
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#KERNELDEBUG-OBTAIN
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
>
> It's really a simple process.

Heh, simple is relative :)  But it doesn't look that bad -- thanks for the
information.  I'll likely need this at some point.

Unfortunately I did not have the luxury to embroil myself in debug hell
with this problem since this is my mail/web machine and others depend on
it.  I can tolerate some downtime, but this was just getting to be too
much.  I just backed up the system, and installled FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE from
scratch and most things are back up and running after a night until 3am.
Yuck, I don't ever want to have to deal with something like this again.

Hopefully after I get brave enough I /might/ entertain jumping onto a
STABLE branch again...

Thanks,

-Clint