Is it O.K. to use the 7.0 ports tree on 6.3 ?

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Sat Nov 24 04:25:33 PST 2007

> You've already received the right advice about not renaming the INDEX,
> but I think it's also worth mentioning that untar'ing a static picture
> of the ports tree is of little practical value unless you never plan
> to update the base, and you never plan to update any ports on that
> machine.

Sorrty, but I do not understand this at all. Surely untarring the ports
file is exactly what the installer does when you install BSD onto a machine?
Why is doing it by hand any different ?

> You're much better off starting with downloading the tree with csup,
> that way you can maintain it more easily down the road.

Won't running csup on the tree I just untarred work ? I use csup
(and have used cvsup in the past) to update ports trees on machines
I installed from CD, and it works fine. Unless the installer is doing
something other than simply untarring that file I can't see why it isn't
just going to work in the same way.

In this case the point is moot as I am not going to update the ports tree
on these machines at all - this is a temporary measure until I wipe them
and upgrade them to 7.0 when it is released. Have upgraded one to
7.0 already to tryit out (works really nicely) but I just wanted the
rest of the machines in the fram to be running the same versions in
the interim few weeks until I upgrade them all.

Thanks for the advice though, if it really doesnt work then thats definitely
worth knowing! Might to some experiments to verity that though - sorry for
being scepticle, but I am sure I have done this in the past and it worked fine.

cheers,

-pete.