FreeBSD 6.3 or FreeBSD 7.0

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:46:56 PST 2007

On 16/11/2007, S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:31:19 +0000 (GMT)
> Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > I feel that the 7.0 kernel will prove to be one of our most stable,
> > not to mention most performant, .0 releases to date.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not true. For example, parallel printing
> crashes my amd64 system since the beginning of May. I've posted
> PR (kern/116669) which is still open. Some other people have
> reported about similar problems.
>
> To my mind it's a stopper defect for 7.0 because parallel
> printing is one of the basic computer tasks. FreeBSD was one
> of the best print servers for years. But at present it cannot
> be used in such a role (at least on amd64).
>
> Regards,
> Serguey.

Without a doubt I have to say the old saying applies dont try to fix
what isnt broke, so goto 6.3 and by the time that is EOL then 7.x
should be matured and a 7.1 release will exist which I have no doubt
will have fixed bugs that we dont know about now.  6.0 was the same
story we were all urged to upgrade our servers to it and for many
people was fine but of course there was unforseen problems that had to
be fixed in 6.1 and 6.2 it is a catch 22 it needs wider scale usage
for problems to be found but people wont necessarily move their
servers over willingly as the risk of things breaking is too high.

I have a hobby server on 7.0 beta 3 but all my web servers are staying
on 6.x for the forseeable future unless I have a good reason to move
to 7 even taking into account the work that has gone into improving
mysql performance.

Chris