Hook up idmapd to build in 6-stable?

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sat Nov 17 18:53:58 PST 2007

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 07:44:31PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:

  On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 08:31:04PM -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:
  > I am beginning to dabble with NFSv4 client functionality.  I noticed
  > idmapd is not built in -stable but it has been in -current since src/sbin/Makefile
  > v. 1.163 (13 months ago).  Should it be hooked up to the build?  Thanks

  At the time I was looking at it in -current, idmapd worked fine but the
  client had serious issues (nothing on an NFSv4 mount could be executed,
  for instance) which I couldn't track down, so I stopped working with it.

  I think that hooking up idmapd could be a good thing to do in order to
  expose those problems, but I'm concerned that it may give the impression
  that our NFSv4 client is any use, which it appears not to be (at least
  13 months ago; apologies if this is not longer the case).

  Ceri

I hadn't realized until I read the manpage that the nfs4 client was considered
incomplete, I suppose one of the first clues was idmap not being hooked up to
the build :) and while I got a mount working and with idmap, it was discovered
that ctimes appear to be broken:

> ls -lc
total 5
drwxr-xr-x  5 nobody  nobody  4096 Dec 31  1969 Maildir
-rw-------  1 nobody  nobody  1029 Mar  3  1970 foo

I doubt I will continue looking at the nfsv4 client in this state, and I
don't really have a reason to use it at this point in time, but perhaps it
would be better to state the apparent usefulness in a manpage to not give
false impressions.  Of course, that also takes work.