Progress with usability of AMD64

Reed Loefgren reedl at tatteredcover.com
Wed Nov 14 10:00:02 PST 2007

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 01:59:03PM +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:

>>> It seems to be the key point here.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about giving a try for the following scheme for my development
>>> desktop at work:
>>>
>>> amd64 machine with servers' ports built inside (postgresql-server,
>>> apache, etc) with i386 jail with desktop applications (xorg,
>>> firefox/nspluginwrappers, MUA, you name it...)
>>>
>>> ENOTIME so far...
>>>
>> Utility is definitely a personal variable.  I run a FreeBSD-6-stable
>> workstation at AMD64 and am more or less happy with it,
>>

> My workstation runs amd64 7.0-BETA2. I'm very happy with it.
>

>> but I also have
>> a MacOS laptop, which I can fall back to for anything that falls out of
>> the FreeBSD-amd64 capability bucket, like watching the google
>> Android videos on youtube,
>>

> There's youtube-dl in ports for downloading youtube videos. You can them
> watch them with your favorite media player.
>

>> Certainly xorg, firefox (and epiphany, which I prefer) and MUA
>> (thunderbird, evolution, mutt, claws-mail(my pref.)) all work
>> happily in amd64 mode.
>>

> The only desktop related things that one hears a lot about are the Flash
> plugin, and the NVidia binary driver. For me those are things that I can
> happily live without. I certainly don't miss the annoying Flash ads on
> the Web!
>
> Roland

I too am annoyed by incessant flash ads. But my credit union's online
banking login box requires flash as well; which broke not too long ago
on my 6STABLE box. I'll get it fixed eventually but in the meantime it
bears remembering that not all flash apps are annoying ads or egocentric
youtube flicks.