Ok, so now what? Binary upgrade to 6.2-RELEASE fails

Clint Olsen clint.olsen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 20:53:21 PST 2007

On Nov 02, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> I think you might have no choice but to omit the reboots, because the
> world contains lots of stuff that has to do with the kernel (like
> mounting).
>
> So just go into single user mode and do the usual stuff:
> # make installkernel
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # shutdown -r now
>
> and pray to your deity of choice.
>
> If the reason for your problem is something else however you're stuck
> with a system that can not run with your old kernel. So better backup
> before you try.

I attempted to just do a binary upgrade, assuming that I botched the source
upgrade somehow.  After installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, I was left with a
system that would not boot (similar errors on boot as before).  Reverting
the kernel of course was of limited help because userland was all expecting
6.2.  So, I had a couple of tarballs from my last backup and I attempted to
bandage up / and /usr and was able to resurrect my 5.5-STABLE image.

This is f'n scary.  I've never had this much trouble upgrading a system
before.  Does anyone have any idea what remnant could be remaining after a
binary upgrade that would keep it from booting yet I can boot from the
6.2-RELEASE iso's just fine?  I am very apprehensive to do a newfs and wipe
the drives now that I've failed both source and binary upgrade paths.

-Clint