Boot-time pass for geli on 7.0-BETA2 (and RELENG_7) not working for me.

Marc Olzheim marcolz at ilse.net
Wed Nov 7 07:05:11 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:41:40AM +0100, Karsten Rothemund wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:35:24PM +0100, Marc Olzheim wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I can't get the kernel to accept my passphrase at boot time.
> >

> What kind of passphrase do you use? I had the same "problem" until I
> realized, that my passphrase contained a letter, which changed its
> "position" on the keyboard when changing layout, during boot it is still
> the US-layout. Later it changed to de in my case (no problem to attach
> geli device later).
>
> Just a hint.

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I set the passphrase to 'a' now, and when I set
'kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1' I see that the 'a' is typed as
expected. When I type more characters though, not all of them are
printed, only about half of them.

I did read about problems with SMP, and have set kern.geom.eli.threads=1
in loader.conf, but still no go.

Marc