openpty() and jail in RELENG_7

Dan Epure gepu at iogyte.ro
Tue Nov 6 12:46:31 PST 2007

Hi All,

I'm using on the host system (7.0-BETA2):
#sysctl kern.pts.enable
kern.pts.enable: 1
I have no problem at all.

The jail is also 7.0-BETA2

The problem is inside the jail openpty() can not allocate the pty:
=== cut here ===
debug1: monitor_child_preauth: test2 has been authenticated by privileged process
debug1: PAM: reinitializing credentials
debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: input_session_request
debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: session_open: channel 0
debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request pty-req reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req pty-req
debug1: Allocating pty.
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
openpty: No such file or directory
session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request shell reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req shell
=== and here ===
the ssh session just hangs. (no pty ?)

I did not forget to mount devfs inside the jail.
The jail is configured in rc.conf:
=== cut here ===
jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="test"
jail_test_hostname="test.mydomain.org"
jail_test_rootdir="/jails/test"
jail_test_interface="bge0"
jail_test_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_test_ip="192.168.10.2"
jail_set_hostname_allow="NO"
jail_sysvipc_allow="NO"
jail_socket_unixiproute_only="YES"
=== and here ===
I think the problem is related to restrictions imposed by the jail.

Please advise.

Gepu