7.0-BETA1 & 2 occasionally freezing, how to diagnose?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 5 14:15:25 PST 2007

Doug Poland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been having frequent problems with BETA1 and now BETA2 "freezing".
>     There is no diagnostic information, nothing in /var/log/messages,
> nothing, just a hung interface.  I cannot ssh into the machine and it
> appears the box ceases to communicate on SSH. A couple of times I've had
> screen corruption on the laptop's LCD display.
>
> Every time it hands I'm running Xorg 7.3, Thunderbird, Firefox, pidgin,
> and a bunch of xterms.
>
> Is there something I can do to diagnose this issue?

Only random generic troubleshooting items:

- how's your heating? screen corruption looks like memory or bus errors.
are you running powerd?
- can you set up a serial or firewire connection to it and monitor the
machine from there ("screen corruption" may also mean a kernel message
being printed in text mode, in the part of memory now mapped for
graphics - if this is the case you'll see the message over the serial
console).